There are major changes to the 2019 Georgia Meet of Champions. While the meet will remain at Marietta High School on May 18, the meet is welcoming a new director and a new partner. Nick Houstoulkis, head coach of Marietta’s track and field team will be the new meet director. Houstoulkis will be assisted by Alexander High School’s track and field coach Brian Robinson and Mike Judge of Throw 1 Deep. Atlanta Track Club will assist with funding and staff support for the meet with plans to take over the meet in full in 2020. More details about Atlanta Track club’s involvement, as well as a new name for the meet will be coming out on a later date. There are also changes to qualification and registration for the Meet of Champions. Up to 16 athletes
per event will be accepted. The coaches on the meet’s committee have come up with the following system to invite athletes:
- Individual state champions automatically qualify
- Other athletes can qualify by achieving A or B standards
- A standard athletes automatically qualify
- Remaining entries are filled by B standard athletes
- Standards are based on a five-year average of times and marks and can be found here.All times and marks must be from the 2019 season and verified on Milesplit.
State champions and A standard qualifiers will declare their intention to compete in the Meet of Champions by Monday, May 13, 2019. Coaches can then register the athlete at ww.ga.milesplit.com.
They will be sent a password for the registration. B standard athletes will be contacted by the meet staff to complete any still open fields.